Thursday 4 February 2010

:salsa di pomodoro:
:I know this image has nothing to do with tomato pasta sauce but I love this zucchini flower in our garden.:

That is the name of the basic tomato cooking sauce I made yesterday...
I actually got it from a new cookbook that I purchased yesterday called "The Thrifty Kitchen"  (I didn't get it from fishpond I got it at Kmart for $36) It has lots of great recipes that I can't wait to make.

Here is the recipe

1kg ripe tomotoes, chopped or 2  x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
80g butter
1 onion, peeled and halved
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and simmer, uncovered, on a low heat for about 45-60 minutes, stirring from time to time and breaking up any large bits of tomato with a spoon.

Remove from heat and push the sauce through a coarse sieve, discarding any solids.  Finish with salt and pepper to taste.

NB:  I didn't use the butter and I didn't put the mix through a sieve.  However, I will probably be picking the tomato skins from the girls dinner...

Next time I am going to try the Salso di pomodoro with herbs and garlic from the same book..



My cute little babushka measuring cups..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love reading them and try to answer each and everyone.Tanya